"Our Barbies, Ourselves" Journal Prompt

     For this prompt, I chose to talk about probably my favorite toy I used to play with growing up: Legos. I was a huge fan of the lego movies and shows - shows like lego ninjago - growing up, and when I saw that there were toys made that resembled my favorite characters and everyone also had them, I knew I had to get them. Funny enough, legos helped me meet new people and make new friends. Since I had a toy what was "popular", I was able to talk about it to everyone, including people I did not know. This allowed me to make new friends, who I still talk to many years later. 

Looking back though, I see that maybe these toys that are defined as "popular" are probably not liked by everyone. Speaking from my own experience, I remember how so many toys that I had my parents buy for me, such as the pokemon cards and yu-gi-oh cards, were mainly because everyone else had them and I had a sense of being left out. I think this might be a case for many people, as years pass and new trends come and go, its these trends that defines what toy a child might like at a certain point in time. There are multiple examples of this, first it was pokemon cards, which later on transitioned into fidget spinners, then rubix cubes, and so on. Lego for me is also a very big example of this. A big part of why I started to even watch lego shows and in turn bought the toys was because everyone I knew were talking about it. And as any other kid, I felt I was missing out on something and wanted to buy them, they quickly became my favorite toy as a child though. But I think no matter what someone's favorite toy is, a big part of why the said toy became their favorite is some part due to the external influence by peers of the same age. The more people around you like something, the more inclined you are to get interested and like it as well. Trends come and go, and with the trends, so do the "popular" toys.  



Comments

  1. I like how relatable this would be to anyone that would read it. You were able to talk about legos in a way that we all perceive them, and then reflect on the negative parts of them that the reader can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you ended your blog with an argumentative conclusion, I think it really wraps up your ideas well and summarizes exactly what you were trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your connection of how our popular dolls/action figures were actually just trends that we wanted to feel included in. As with your LEGO experience, many people buy these toys to stay included with the trends, rarely just buying toys to play with and mostly buying toys to expand relationships with friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acknowledgements

Problem Solving

The Talent of Ridicule